Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What Do You Have To Do To Win A Heisman Around Here?



Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow! What crosses your mind when I say that sentence? When I think of this college football phenom I think a touchdown is only one play away. I see excitement and love for the game. Lastly I see a dedication to his team and teammates. Now I am not sure if this spells H-E-I-S-M-A-N, but it definitely spells M-V-P.

Is Tebow immune to bad days? Certainly not, but even his bad days are good ones to other college quarterbacks. The one Florida loss came at home against Ole Miss. Now everyone knows that I am an Ole Miss fan but this article is about Tebow, I will attempt to maintain my objectivity. In the UM ball game, Tebow was 24 for 38with 1 touchdown and no interceptions. Those numbers translates into 319 yards passing for the day. His rushing totals were down for the day but only because sacks count as negative rushing yards in the college game. He rushed for a net of 7 yards with one touchdown. He was stopped on the 4th & 1 play, but Florida fans cannot blame him for that loss. I would take his numbers any day of the week if I was his coach.

Now we will talk about the LSU game. In this contest, Tebow was 14 for 21 with 2 touchdowns and no interceptions, that all totals up to 210 passing yards. He rushed for a net of 22 yards and a touchdown in this game as well. In this game he led his team to a 51 – 21 victory over the then №4 team in the country.

Fast forward 7 days to this past weekend’s shellacking of Kentucky. Only one word comes to mind: WOW! Mr. Tebow was 11 for 15 with 2 touchdowns; He did throw one interception in this game that is the only flaw I could find. He totaled up 180 passing yards against Kentucky and rushed for another 48 yards on 9 runs. Among these 9 rushes were 2 runs for touchdowns. Florida had a lot of other weapons against Kentucky, but by far if you had to pick a single gun in this one, it was hands down Tim Tebow!

Looking forward to this coming up weekend’s Georgia versus Florida Football Classic, or “The Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party”. I can’t wait to find out what this outstanding young man has in store for us. I can’t help but remember his post game interview after losing to Ole Miss, where he promised the Gator Nation that good things would come out of that loss. I think that he has made good on that promise. I also think he will continue to make good on it. Just this past week Tebow gave his Heisman vote to the University of Texas’ QB Colt McCoy, but McCoy showed this last weekend that he can have a bad day as well when faced with a tough opponent. I know I have a shallow mind when it comes to college football, I don’t look too far outside of the SEC for talent, unless another team (Non Conference) has a game that will directly affect an SEC team, such as this last weekends game between №1 Texas and №7 Oklahoma State. For this reason I may miss a lot of the talent that is out there in this nation, but listen close to this my friends. My prediction in last Friday’s Pick-Em column that Tebow was going to make a charge and that he still had Heisman in him is still valid and I stand behind that statement 100%. He may not be what some would say is an NFL type QB, but if he keeps racking up passing yards like he has in the past 3 games, including the one loss, he will be looking more and more like a Sunday player to me. In any event, the Heisman Trophy isn’t given to the best NFL prospect of the year; it is given to the best College Player. At this moment, my shallow mind can’t look past Tim Tebow.

As usual friends, I will be back on Friday for another round of SEC Pick-Em. I think we have a great weekend of football in store for us. Until then…..Hotty Toddy

Darryle “Speedy” Clark

No comments: