Friday, October 3, 2008

Friday's Picks

Well we didn't win the Pontiac Game Changing Performance Award, but I figured it was worth watching again.



Well sports fans, here it is Friday again and that means another weekend of college football, more especially SEC football. I will be in Oxford again for the Ole Miss Homecoming game against South Carolina. I sure hope we can avoid an emotional letdown after last weeks huge win over #4 Florida as well as the Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx. The upsets have already started as last night the Pittsburgh Panthers upset the South Florida Bulls 26 to 21. Oregon State just about made it two weeks in a row, but Utah edged out a last minute field goal to win 31 to 28. I wonder what the weekend will have in store for us. Lets get started with the previews and predictions.


As Always I will begin with my Ole Miss Rebels. This week the Rebels are back home at Vaught Hemingway Stadium for the 2008 Homecoming Game. Excitement is in the air after the stunning victory on the road last weekend in the Swamp. This weeks opponent: none other than the "Ole Ball Coach" Steve Spurrier and his South Carolina Gamecocks, and boy are they due for a win. Last week the Rebel offense put up 31 points but were benefited by some short field situations. The offense didn't make the amount of mistakes that plagued them the previous weekend versus Vanderbilt. They limited themselves to only one turnover. If Jevan Snead can carry that momentum over into this game the offense should have a few opportunities to make plays despite South Carolina's #1 rating defending the pass (Conference and Nationally). I think if we can hold on to the ball the run game will loosen up that stingy pass defense. South Carolina has had 3 different quarterbacks in its line up so I am anxious to find out how well Houston Nutt could prepare for them. Last weekend the Gamecocks won against UAB, but have struggled to get a win against a conference foe, dropping both their previous contests against Vanderbilt and Georgia. Both Vandy and Georgia are good football teams so I look for South Carolina to be a big test for the Rebs. I may be accused of picking this one with my heart but I am going to go with the Rebels to win their Homecoming game giving the emotional fan base another happy Saturday.
Next up on my SEC calender is Kentucky versus Alabama. Only one word comes to mind when describing the play of Alabama this year: Great. I can even imagine "Tony The Tiger" saying it. They haven't been turning the ball over, one of the leagues lowest penalized teams, and they take advantage of their opponents mistakes. All the things a well coached team should do. The question mark in their line up has always been John Parker Wilson. As an Alabama fan, I am well pleased with his play so far this year, but we have all seen him have moments of greatness before, usually followed by stretches of horrible play. If JPW can keep the mindset that he has so far in the '08 campaign, then I just don't see anyone beating them. This includes Kentucky. UK has been playing well so far this season. They are 4-0 and that is a good spot to be in for sure, but they have yet to face a conference opponent, well they are this weekend. I look for Bama's suffocating defense to get after UK quarterback Mike Hartline, this is his first year to start and it will be interesting to see how he handles the rain of hellfire that is about to descend upon him in Tuscaloosa. I look for Bama to win this one big.
Next on tap is Florida versus Arkansas. Florida is licking their wounds after last weekends home opener loss to Ole Miss. They wont have an easy task in front of them as they will have to go on the road to Fayetteville to take on the struggling Arkansas Razorbacks. I know on paper Florida should destroy the R-Backs, but this is the SEC, and playing on the road in the SEC is no easy thing to do. Still in all, The Gators are mad, they are fired up, and I look for them to protect the football better than they did last weekend. Tim Tebow said in his post game interview that "Good would come out of that loss", and if they protect the ball and give him an inch of running room, we have all seen what he can do. Tebow is well behind his marks for this time last season, but he is still TEBOW. I look for Arkansas to play with reckless abandonment in this one, they will have nothing to lose and should pull out all stops. For this reason I think Arkansas puts up a great fight, especially early on, but my pick for this one is Florida.
Auburn at Vanderbilt, boy does this one have the makings of an SEC slobber knocker! Auburn is playing by far some of the best defense in the nation. This comes as no surprise being that Tommy Blah Blah Blah Tuberville is a defensive guru. On the other sideline, Bobby Johnson has these 2008 Commodores sitting pretty at 4-0, and I have personally seen them play. The adjective that comes to mind is FLAWLESS. They don't make silly mistakes and they protect the football. Auburn is struggling offensively this season, but have put up "W's" by superb defensive play. Look for this one to come down to the wire, but I am going to predict an upset in Music City. Vanderbilt will take this one. Interesting note, Vanderbilt has not won in this contest since the 1955 Gator Bowl. I say they are due.

Finally, Tennessee brings in Northern Illinois. The Vols are begging for a victory and they should get it this weekend. They have not had a good row to hoe so far this season. Their schedule had them pitted against 3 big time college programs in their first 4 games. They are 1-3 for the first time in my recollection with their only victory coming against UAB. I look for the Vols to put it on cruise control in this one and secure them a victory.
The only other game of interest to me this weekend is Oklahoma versus Baylor. Well SEC fans, I wont go into any specifics and details on this one, but If we want an SEC #1, we will have to wait for another weekend. OU takes care of business easily in this one and will maintain their #1 ranking in both polls.
Well that wraps up this weekends previews and picks. I will be headed to Oxford in the morning and hope to see plenty of Rebel fans on the road. As usual I will be back on Monday to admit my mistakes and gloat about my uncanny ability to find the winner. Until then.....
Hotty Toddy
Darryle "Speedy" Clark

No comments: