Friday, October 17, 2008

Friday SEC Pick-em




Well here we go sports fans, another exciting weekend of SEC football. Ill tell you what, since my Ole Miss was off last weekend I am chomping at the bits for the weekend to get here. Unfortunately and fortunately the Rebs are in Tuscaloosa waging battle with the № 2 team in the nation: Alabama. I say unfortunately because I am not so sure the college football gods allow for more than one top 5 upset in a single season, but I say fortunately because that is what college football is all about. You want and pray for these types of opportunities. So without any further adieu, let’s get started with the picks.


Ole Miss versus Alabama: If you are an Ole Miss Rebel player, coach or fan then you can’t ask for any better chance to show you have arrived. This is the kind of opportunity you dream about, and Rebel faithful will be hoping for a repeat performance of their upset of the Florida Gators earlier this season. To do this the offense must take care of the football and take advantage of all scoring opportunities. The defense must get back to being physical. The type of physical that kept them in a game against Vandy and subsequently earned their team a victory at № 4 Florida. This type of intense physicality is hard to maintain week in and week out, thus producing low weeks like the loss to South Carolina at home. Alabama is not immune to these lows either as shown by their lackluster performance at home against Kentucky. To win this game the Rebels will have to start on the very first “FIRST DOWN”, and not stop till the final tick. Ole Miss has beaten the Tide only once in Tuscaloosa, Heck that’s the only victory for the Reb’s inside the state of Alabama. That was the Billy Brewer led squad of 1988. But alas it comes down to my picking the winner. As much as I want for the upset Rebel victory, I just can’t predict it. Alabama will win the game, but look for the Rebels to give them a fight. The last 3 meetings between the schools have been decided by 3 points. I predict another close game but Bama wins.


Vanderbilt versus Georgia: Well Vanderbilt has been handed their first loss of the year! How will they respond? I don’t 100% know the answer to that question, but I do know they sure have a hard opponent to do it against: The University of Georgia. Vanderbilt has swapped starting quarterbacks opting to go with Mackenzi Adams over Chris Nickson. Adams is a capable QB as shown in their victory over Auburn. He didn’t give a superstar performance in that Auburn game but he didn’t make mistakes either. Georgia didn’t just light up the scoreboard against Tennessee last weekend. This was a bit surprising to me, coming off of a bye week following the Alabama loss at home. I really thought they would make Tennessee pay all day long. Instead they earned a victory but just not the kind I was expecting. All in all though I don’t think Georgia will allow another home upset this season. I look for the Bulldogs to win this game.

Arkansas versus Kentucky: Finally, Arkansas gets that victory that all SEC fans have been expecting all year, Or at least this fan expected it. The victory over Auburn….At Auburn last weekend got the Auburn OC fired. This is not an easy pick for me. Kentucky is coming off a loss to South Carolina and they are at home. Arkansas has finally gotten a confidence builder and a solid rushing performance from Michael Smith (176 yards against Auburn D). I am going to pick the Cats in this one, but I'm definitely not 100%.

Mississippi State versus Tennessee: Mississippi State is coming off of their first big win all year with their 17 to 14 victory over Vanderbilt last weekend. The Dawgs are still struggling somewhat on offense but they are still pretty stingy on the defensive side of the ball. What can I say good about Tennessee this season? I honestly don’t know! One has to ponder if Phillip Fulmer might be on his last leg at UT. After 17 seasons at the helm it might be time for a change. I think it would still be considered an upset victory if MSU can go into Neyland Stadium in Knoxville Tennessee and knock off the Vols. This is my upset pick for week 8. Mississippi State wins in a close one,

LSU versus South Carolina: LSU has been smacked in the mouth and South Carolina is on a 4 game winning streak (2 game In Conference win streak). LSU’s defense has shown weakness as Florida lit it up against the Tigers. This is another hard pick for me. LSU is still a very talented team and they will certainly be looking to get back up off the turf. South Carolina has finally gotten their quarterback question answered with Chris Smelley and they are at home in a fan rich environment. I really don’t know which way to go with this one. Wait a minute I can’t do that, I have to make a pick. Sorry Gamecock fans, I have to go with a mad bunch of Tigers on this one.

Well that’s it sports fans. Florida and Auburn are on their bye week. One other game of interest to the SEC nation would be the Missouri versus Texas match up. Missouri is ranked 11th in the nation and is a very capable club. Texas might have more than they want. If Mizou can pull off the upset and Alabama wins, this just might put the Tide in the № 1 position in the polls, although the entire SEC nation knows they should be there already. As much as I love this conference, I hope that I can report an upset from Tuscaloosa on Monday. Until then…..

Hotty Toddy
Darryle “Speedy” Clark

No comments: